Let's do a breakdown of the elements.
1. Mixed ironstone plates and silver place settings. check.
2. Amber depression glasses. check.
3. Cream teacups and accessories. check.
4. Napkins folded as envelopes. check.
5. Torn paper name cards and pheasant feather "pens". check.
6. Burlap runners that double as placemats. check.
7. Ironstone pitcher filled with dried Yarrow. check.
8. Various wood and amber toned fall accessories. check.
and last but not least...
9. An accidental chalkboard tray centerpiece. check.
I know you want to hear the story behind this one, so here it is.
This chalkboard tray was a complete accident! Yup. It wasn't supposed to be a tray at all. I found this old chalkboard sitting around my parent's house. Attached at each corner was a wine cork.
Needless to say my inner dialogue when finding this little cutie went something like this......"Why hello there! How cute are you?! So functional, so shabbily beautiful! You will be perfect for my fall table decorating."
Dialogue with my mom went something like this....."Hey mom, can I use this cool chalkboard tray thing?" "What tray?" "The one I found up in your room. It's like an old chalkboard" (Insert my mom basically laughing at me). "That isn't a tray. I just stuck those corks on there because there are really sharp nails hanging out". "Well it makes a cute tray! So can I use it?"
There you go! That's the story! I totally cute chalkboard tray that wasn't meant to be a tray at all!
The best part is you could make your own SOOOOO easily! Find or make a small chalkboard, hammer a nail through each corner, use a rubber mallet to pound a cork down over each exposed nail end, flip over and use as a tray and centerpiece!
It's great for writing seasonal or food related messages, boosting up a some a sugar bowl or salt and pepper shakers, or showcasing a vase of flowers.
Oh how I love happy accidents!
Now it's your turn to share! Have you started thinking about fall. What colors or themes do you plan/want to use? Any specific materials or items you want to incorporate? Give us some inspiration!